The Manosphere
Every relationship and every job was influenced by the manosphere. Why are women such easy targets for the patriarchy? Seriously, why? Was it just relentless? Did women just give up? Have we been complicit in our own oppression? I get being tired and over it because of what Trump is doing. I get just saying “You win.” It’s so annoying that you just want it to stop. Jobs are much easier for me to recognize the manosphere. I used to be a restaurant manager and the boss’s father actually had the audacity to walk around the floor and tell my employees that I should be fired. I don’t remember what he was so upset about but it clearly wasn’t anything memorable or meaningful. His sense of entitlement was staggering. Who does that? I had GM’s (the same company) that would talk shit about me. I had a boss that actually hugged me after an argument. WTF?! Like the situation called for a hug. It didn’t. This isn’t an example of the manosphere, it’s just straight up racist. This other female that was vicious and had a tan and our boss (the son) called her a “black bitch.” I think it was that exact moment that I didn’t care anymore. I did my job but I didn’t have any interest anymore in climbing the corporate ladder.
I had a job interview that the owner said I was “intense.” Sir, I just met you. He also liked it when female managers wore heels or wedges. Do you realize how much time is spent on your feet when you’re managing a restaurant? Heels and wedges are impractical. I was in a job interview where I was interviewed by an owner of a restaurant chain and he casually called me a mutt because I am biracial. Why do these men just casually say offensive shit and just expect it to be fine? That I wouldn’t be offended.
I think that restaurants are a very male saturated field. The BOH (back of house) is a male dominated industry and the FOH (front of house) has more females but it’s still a man’s world. I was a black female telling men what to do and I wasn’t sweet about it. Maybe if I had been, people would have noticed that I was sick. My symptoms were mistaken for personality traits. I one time had my boss (I was standing in a circle of three men and my boss proceeded to mime oral sex on his wife! It’s not my worse experience but it’s pretty high up there. The hospitality industry needs to be reformed. Sexism needs to be acknowledged and eradicated. The manosphere should be destroyed.
Comments
Post a Comment